Sonic Day Rehab: Day 1

Yesterday was the first day of my Sonic Rehab.

Usually, the way rehab works is that a person is admitted to a facility and placed under a doctor’s care to help them quit their addictions (usually drugs, alcohol, etc..)

However, I really don’t think that in my circumstances that I need to be admitted and placed under a doctor’s care to help me quit my slight Sonic addiction. I do think that I just need a little self-control. No big deal or anything.

So, as I begin the first day of my own version of rehab, I’m feeling confident and ready to conquer the quest that has been set before me… much like Frodo and The Fellowship as the venture to Mordor to destroy the ring.

Yesterday had the potential to be a great day. I had two classes in the morning, all of which went perfectly fine. When it came to lunch, I heated up some tasty homemade ham and potato soup that my mom made me and when 12:36 pm rolled around, I just couldn’t make myself go to Ag Stats. So I decided to remain in bed and watch Vampire Diaries with Miros. Don’t be worried, it was going to be easy day and he doesn’t take attendance… so Vampire Diaries trumped Ag Stats.

To my dismay, Miros actually had to go class at 2:30 pm so I had to refrain from watching Vampire Diaries and decided that I would take a nap… a rare occurrence for me. So, after an hour-long nap passed by, I woke up and the headache that had been slowly creeping up on me all day was definitely making its presence known. I took some extra strength Tylenol and went back to bed for another hour-long nap. I woke up, my head pounding even more. I am a farm girl, country strong and I can handle most of the things thrown my way. However, when I say that my head was pounding, it was if somebody was taking a hammer and banging it on my head.

As the day wore on… I noticed that my mood was definitely not one of my best. It was as if my mood was strangely somber and mellow. Scary, I know. On the way home from church, I decided that I couldn’t take it any longer… I HAD TO GO TO SONIC! But first, Apple Pastry Bites from Wal-Mart. I have to admit that I got a few more things than just Apple Pastry Bites. I got Carmel filled Hershey kisses and a block of mild cheddar cheese. While I was walking to the self check out, I felt myself being drawn to the quaint book section. One of the most comforting feelings in the world is being surrounded by a bunch of books that I’ve yet to read and as I ventured in, I couldn’t deny myself the comfort of buying a book. Drop me off at Barnes and Noble and I could spend hours just reading the summaries on the backs and inside flaps of the books and maybe if nobody was looking, I would ever so sneakily smell the gentle aroma that lingers on the pages.

However, it was Wal-Mart and not Barnes and Noble. So, I was faced with making a choice between two book: “The Hunger Games” and “The Clockwork Angel”. I chose the latter of the two.

As I am clutching my Apple Pastry Bites, Carmel filled Hershey Kisses, block of mild cheddar cheese, and “The Clockwork Angel” and walking to the self check out, my eyes began to well up due to the unbearable pain. I hurriedly checked out my items and I dashed off to Sonic where I ordered me a large Dr. Pepper with extra, extra, extra ice.

When the Sonic carhop began to approach with my large Dr. Pepper with extra, extra, extra ice, my heart began to beat a little faster. As I took my drink from the carhop, I took the wrapper off the straw and punched it into my drink and took a long, delightful sip…

I would say that there were fireworks exploding into the sky above me and many other different components that were perfectly orchestrated together to create a magical moment while I took my first sip of my first Sonic drink in the last 24 hours but there’s a burn ban… ultimately banning the fireworks. So there goes my magical, miraculous moment marking one of the longest periods of time that I’ve gone without a sip of caffiene.

Whether it was phsycilogical or it actually happen but my head instantly started to fill the instant relief.

When I made it back to my dorm finally around 10 pm, I took some more extra strength Tylenol and chugged my Dr. Pepper as well as I went a took a jog around campus. I’m not sure if it was one of those things specifically or just the magical combination but my headache definitely went away and I was able to go on with my life.

Things that I learned from my first and only day of Sonic Rehab:

-I am slightly dependent on caffiene, especially from Sonic

-I am pretty sure the people around me want me to be sipping on caffiene to prevent my “caffiene-deprived mood”

-While I have a slight addiction to Sonic drinks, I do have self control and I can limit my caffiene intake level.

-…. I need my Sonic.

%d bloggers like this: