- Look for and find out where your classes are before the first day of school. If you are new to the campus and don’t know your way around just yet, it is a good idea to just to figure out what rooms and buildings all of your classes are in before the first day. It can be hectic and a little crazy on the first day and you don’t want to spend 30 minutes looking for a class that started five minutes ago. WT is really great about having faculty out on the first couple days of school to help lost students so if you are unsure of where to go, just ask!
- Get there early on the first day. I say this from a commuters point of view, but normally on the first day, or the first week of classes you are going to want to head out a little earlier than normal to get a good parking spot because everyone else will be there early for the exact same thing. WT now has an open parking policy so you will be able to park anywhere, but beware because parking can fill up fast.
- Be sure to bring a notebook and pencil on the first day. Your first day of classes will be where the instructor introduces themselves and what the class is about. Chances are they will be going over the syllabus and giving you handouts. You’ll need somewhere to store these handouts and something to write down extra information with since you will be getting a lot of information on the first day. Some professors just like to go over class while some will jump in and begin that first day with a lecture so you should be prepared to take some notes as well.
- Get Online and go to WT Class. Some teachers will heavily use WT Class while others hardly touch it. It is a good idea to get online and look around before your classes start. Some teachers will post the syllabus online for you to look over before class starts. They may post different handouts that they will go over in class. It is especially important for online classes that you don’t waste time since they start the same day as other classes, and you may have an assignment due.
- Relax and Enjoy. It is your first day of college and that is a huge stepping stone in life! Don’t get overwhelmed with everything and remember that you are there to have in life as well. To make friends in your classes or dorms and meet knew people. Your first day and whole college experience should be enjoyable and fulfilling so get ready and I’ll see you fellow buffs on Aug. 27th!
Advice for Your First Day of CollegePublished August 22, 2012 Simone Pike 1 Comment
Tags: advice, first day, WTAMU