College life is NOT cheap.
Just having to pay for college is a lot. Then there are other things that are just apart of college life that cost money too….
There are several reasons why college students need a job.
One big reason is because we’ve grown up… or we’re supposed to have. Our parents aren’t, and shouldn’t, pay for everything.
Other reasons are:
1. Gasoline. We college students have to drive to school as well as around Canyon. Don’t forget the shopping sprees to the mall in Amarillo and the roadtrips back home… All of these excursions take gasoline. And gasoline takes money.
2. Food. I chose not to have a meal plan this year since I was not required to and I have quickly realized that I need food and without having a meal plan to use at the caf, I have to find food elsewhere. There is always sonic, Mc Donald’s Wendy’s, Taco Bell, etc… all of which take actual money.
3. Clothes. Girls will understand me when I say that you need not just a few, but several cute WT shirts to show off your school spirit. Plus, you can’t forget the cute matching sweats! Not to mention, there are certain events that you just have to go buy a new outfit for such as… hot dates with the really cute boy/girl that you have a crush on, sorority/fraternity mixers, cute workout clothes to wear when you’re working out at the AC, or just going to class because there is a cute boy/girl that you have in the same class. It takes money to look cute/handsome… it’s not cheap!
4. Wal-Mart “things”. I’ve decided Wal-Mart is a black hole, sucking in all of your money. It seems that everytime I go to Wal-Mart to get one or two things like milk and toothpaste, I end up leaving with milk and toothpase along with a book, gum, Apple Pastry Bites (my current favorite snack that I’m highly addicted to), candy, nail polish, etc… The list literally goes on and on and on and on and on.
5. Personal Hygiene. Just because your mom isn’t around to demand that you take a bath to wash off your gross sweatiness doesn’t mean you should skip the whole personal hygiene aspect at college. We college students still need to take showers and wash our hair, wash our hands, clean our clothes, periodically wash our bed sheets, brush our teeth, wear deodorant, put on body wash/smelly-good stuff, etc… While it may take money to stay clean, trust me… it’s worth it!