Before I came to college, I thought I knew everything.
I was wrong…
After my first year at West Texas A&M, there are several things that I learned that I didn’t know before.
– I didn’t know how to study. In high school, I could always wing it. For the most part, anyways… In college, you actually have to study for tests, quizzes, etc.
– I didn’t know how lucky I was that my washer and dryer was just in the other room instead of 3 flights of stairs down or 2 flights of stairs up.
– I didn’t know how fun it could be to have my friends living in the same building. Back home, all of my friends lived at least 10 miles away from me.
–I didn’t know how good home cooked food tasted till I ate caf food. I took it for granted that mom always cooked good, edible food.
– I didn’t know how to make new friends. Growing up, I made friends in kindergarten and I stuck with those friends till the day I left for college. I actually had to make new friends.
– I didn’t know how diverse people could be. Growing up in a small town, there wasn’t much diversity. At college, there are fellow students that don’t call America home.
– I didn’t know (or I forgot) how to share a room with another person, who I didn’t really know. It has been years since I’ve shared a room with my little sister.
– I didn’t know that it wasn’t exactly polite to blow dry your hair while your roommate is asleep. It finally occurred to me that my roommate didn’t have class for 2 more hours and she didn’t want to wake up to sound of a blow dryer.
– I didn’t know how expensive food was. Living at home, my parents paid for my food. Now that I’m at college…. the money that pays for the food I eat comes from my ever diminishing wallet.
– I didn’t know how much calories and carbohydrates could impact my body. In high school, athletics was a big help in keeping toned. Once college started, no athletics. You figure out the ugly equation.
– I didn’t know how important it was to find a job. I’m lucky enough to have found this blogging job. Other people weren’t so lucky.
– I didn’t know how much money I could possibly spend at sonic during happy hour.